Saturday, October 27, 2007

I can feel my body rock.

My sister is the source to turn to when you need awesomeness broken down for you. Also if you need awesomeness put back together for you. And should you want to indulge this Halloween in a marathon of movies like Critters and Rawhead Rex, she's the girl you want riding shotgun.

(Except that she fell asleep ten minutes into Rawhead Rex. Justin and I watched the whole awesome spectacle, and she'd wake up -- excuse me, "wake up" -- for a few moments every so often, pretend that she wasn't asleep, and drift back off. )

This post is actually going to be a kind of preamble. Trust me, I need to talk about "body rock[ing]" soon, but while looking for the links to the IMDB entries for those two cinematic gems up there, I got some interesting image results.

I'd like everybody to look at the second Google result for Critters first:



That's the box art for the sequel to Critters. You might want to look more closely. (Although I suppose that not spending part of one's childhood watching these movies with one's sister sort of dulls the impact...)

Here's the very first result in Google for Critters:



It's not just the juxtaposition of color or species that's getting it done here; it might be the expression on the woman's face. And her pose. She's posing, as the wife describes it, "for a beauty pageant with her arm ostensibly on the railing of a stairway and her leg cocked to show off her nice body," but instead of a beauty pageant railing, "unbeknownst to her, there's a monster where the railing should be."

But I say it is beknownst to her. She's digging on that thing. Digging hard.

Also someone made that suit. Or stole it from the movie studio. Either way? Job well done.

Next post: A Halloween list I found when clicking through to this pinnacle of costume design:



Did You Know? In "Stranded on Death Row," Kurupt drops a line about Rawhead Rex; specifically, he "gets rugged like Rawhead Rex with fat tracks that fit." Also, what he "recite[s] is kinda lethal."

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

one of my favorite things is remembering myself waking up during movies with you guys and so sincerely arguing that i wasn't asleep. i was in serious denial. but i know i also thought it was funny to say i wasn't sleeping when i most certainly was.

i secretly wished on halloween to only be watching scary movies. it's all i ever really want on that holiday. and candy, of course.