Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cloverfield!

The wife and I just got home from seeing Cloverfield, and while she left with only a headache (the camera is on crack for most of the movie), I left with joys in my heart. It's awesome. Since I've always loved monster movies, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The monster is fantastic. I don't know how to describe it, but it's a get.

The real get, though? The real star? Michael Giacchino. The movie is without a score until the credits (to uphold the "found footage" conceit), but Michael F. Giacchino got to write the "overture" for the end. And write he did. He packed a whole movie score into those seven minutes, and by "movie score," I mean "exploding movie score."

Here's the thing. As the overture (called "Roar!" of course) started, I told Cat, "This guy has played a few video games in his time." Click on that link up there, and here's what you find out: He started on video games. That's how he got to working with JJ Abrams.

So what you have there at the end of the movie is a video game soundtrack -- but not just a video game soundtrack. There's an opera woman going to town, a couple dozen timpanis, some oboes, some tubas, a couple of moments where I am positive that the entire orchestra is looking at a blank score and just making it up...

I'm serious when I say that even though the movie was outstanding, Mikey Giacchino's epic video game at the end is the winning moment. He's also never heard of Ennio Morricone, if you're into that kind of thing. Or specifically the video game Final Fantasy VIII, if that brass section is any indication.

Just an amazing afternoon all around.

Time to watch Friday Night Lights! It's the best show ever.


Oh, Tim Riggins. Are you made of feelings? Not like Michael Giacchino's music is!

3 comments:

Reagan said...

You didn't tell me you guys started watching Friday Night Lights! Isn't it the best show? And Tim Riggins is the best ever. Mario and I have Saturday morning phone calls every week that Friday Night Lights is on to discuss the previous night's episode. And if you watch this week's, notice that the guy Lyla is kissing was Logan on Gilmore Girls (I think you watched that long).

nicole said...

well, i have never heard of that show, but i wish i had gone to the movie with you guys. let's get together for the next movie date so i can crash it and feel totally comfortable sitting between the two of you and helping myself to handfulls of your popcorm without asking. doesn't that sound like fun?!i want to see that movie so much, i'm glad it's really worth it.

Charlotte said...

I saw it tonight!! I LOVED it. I wasn't digging on it as hard as I wanted until they're in the tunnel, and then I was actually squeezing Zero's arm off in fear. I'll email you my favorite parts so as not to spoil it for anyone else.
But, we did stay to hear the music at the end. You are correct.