Thursday, January 31, 2008

Now, I feel a little high.

After losing weight and getting in shape last semester, I decided to make my New Year's Resolution to run a marathon this year. So I couldn't flake out, in the second week of January I signed up and paid for the marathon in June in Lake Placid, NY. I am super psyched, but this idea of "training" does not particularly appeal to me.
I have never been much of a runner. I am more like this



than this



So today, I was scheduled to do my longest run -- five miles. To some people, that might not seem like a lot. But I have never run five miles in my life. Ever. I have never been chased by a cheetah or wild boar, so there has been no need for me to run for my survival. Luckily, one of the girls who works in our fitness center at school has taken a liking to me and met up with me this morning to work out together. Avi has been running for a long time, so she has a stockpile of knowledge that she shares with me when I ask. The gem I received today was the perfect last mile song.

For me, the first mile is killer. I struggle to get into the groove, and I have to wait until after the first mile for the adrenaline to kick in. The second and third miles are nice and breezy. I still have energy in my muscles, and it just feels like I am cruising along. During the fourth mile, I start to sweat profusely, and I can feel my cells beginning to fill with lactic acid. Today, my first fifth mile, I discovered a new hell which I did not know existed. I had to keep running because I knew that if I didn't make my foot move, I would faceplant into the treadmill. There would be no gradual slow down or gentle jog. I would smash to the floor. And that would be slightly embarrassing.

Avi knows that last mile struggle, and at about 4.4 miles, she found the remedy on her iPod and plugged it in to the weight room sound system. At top volume, she blasted "Defying Gravity," hopped on the treadmill next to me, and ran with me, waving her arms like a crazy person. It was one of the perfect moments of my life.

4 comments:

Red Fish said...

Sometimes I forget that I love you this much. Then you remind me.

Reagan said...

I meant to tell you at Christmas that it looked like you had really gotten in shape (not that you weren't before, but you know what I mean). I'm very impressed - I can't imagine running a marathon, or even running really, but I am trying to get in shape before I turn 30 next month and my body realizes it's impossible to get back in shape.

Justin said...

Oh goodness. I decided a few days ago that I'm going to run a marathon, because I think training for a specific event is the best way to stay motivated.
First of all, have you seen the movie Lake Placid? It's a victory for not one of the actors taking the film seriously.
I feel you on mile five. That's about when my body wants to vomit. I'll be running in Thailand in June, and I'm told that the humidity will actually murder me.
Here's to destroying our joints.
xoxo

Charlotte said...

Got me. I can't believe that's the only exposure to Wicked I've ever had, for real. Sometimes I forget the secret love in my heart for musical theater.
Good luck with your training! I'm also on the Get Fit Train, but I have to stick to things like pilates and yoga, thanks to those amazing feet I have. I always admire runners.